Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Mom and Dad - 50th Wedding Anniversary



    This is a picture of my Dad and Mom on their 50th Wedding Anniversary. I will share one of the experiences I vividly recall since it has to do with the character and reputation of one of Banida's long time residents—my Father:  The arrangement we had was that any money we may have earned by working on the farm was deposited in the First Security Bank in Preston.  When I left for college in 1946, I had just turned 17, and it was the first time I had ever had a personal checking account.  I took off in the little black 1937 Ford coupe that Blaine and I had been driving for a year or so during high school.
     Needing some money, I went into the First Security Bank branch in Logan to cash my first check.  The teller looked at my 5 feet six inch height and all of 127 pounds and apparently thought that perhaps I didn't really have a personal checking account.  She said, "Wait just a minute."  She left and in a few moments returned and said, "Come with me."  I followed her into the corner office where the Bank President was located.  I remember the big desk and the high backed chair.  He didn’t appear particularly friendly.
     The man stared at me for a few moments and asked, "What is your name?"
     As I recall, my response was, "Junior Christensen" since that is what I was called all the way through high school.
     "Where are you from?"  he asked me.  "Who is your father?" 
     "Joseph A. Christensen," I responded.
     That is when he took a deep breath and what seemed like a sigh of relief.  He clasped his hands behind his head, leaned back in his chair and said, "I know your father.  He is an honest and hard-working man.  You can write your check out for any amount you need."
     That let me know that I was drinking water from wells I hadn't dug and eating fruit from trees I had not planted.  I had inherited something that I could not buy with money and for it I am grateful.





Goldie at 50th Wedding Anniversary


No comments:

Post a Comment